Saturday, June 11, 2011

Lepai Amp Impressions


After a long wait while Parts Express got some more in stock, I've got a new Lepai amplifier using the Tripath TA2020 chip to power my Overnight Sensations. It's a welcome addition because for the past month, they've been sitting around looking nice, but not much else. So far, the amp has served its purpose well. The main reason I got it was to take the place of an old Sony AVR that I had previously been using to power the speakers. It worked fine, but the Sony AVR was huge, and took up way too much space on my desk. The Lepai amp takes up almost no space, and it pumps out way more than enough power for the speakers. It's also nice to know that I've got some portable power in the event that the speakers go on the road for whatever reason. My only gripe so far (and it's a minor one) is that there's a small thump whenever I power down the amp, but it hasn't damaged anything so far, and I don't think it will. All around, it was a solid purchase for about $20.

1 comment: